Horace Hamby (N7DRW), and guest instructors teach a FCC amateur radio class (General and Technician Class) to students. ATechnician class license allows amateurs to use radio frequencies for emergency communications, family communications, personal technology growth, and to make many new friends worldwide. A General license expands upon the Technician license by adding HF frequencies as additional privileges.
Upcoming Technician and General classes are being scheduled for Spring 2018. We have finished out all classes for 2017.
To register, contact Ron Poole at email@example.com or call him at 425-406-8581
Cost: Free, but each student must have a subscription to HamTestOnline.com for the course. The cost is $24.95 for a two-year subscription. Students are asked to purchase and verify that the have access to http://www.hamtestonline.com/ prior to coming to class.
Exam resources available:
Regardless of the study approach taken, we recommend the ARRL “Ham Radio License Manual” (http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Ham-Radio-License-Manual-3rd-Edition/ ) as reference material. It is available on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/ARRL-Ham-Radio-License-Manual/dp/1625950136/ if you wish to purchase and study beforehand.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure that you get the 3nd edition of the book. The 1st and 2nd editions are obsolete.
(Note: without any commercial endorsements, everyone learns differently)
- “No-Nonsense Study Guides” http://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/
- Ron Hashiro’s web site provides: (1) Excellent cheat sheet study guides, (2) Pointers to the full set of videos from the Hermosa Beach Valley Ham School (8 sessions with multiple parts in each) http://www.qsl.net/ah6rh/am-radio/license-tech/
- Dave Casler’s set of 38 well-produced videos that cover the entire ARRL Technician Book — this is a great additional resource if you are going to use the ARRL material.
- ARRL materials: http://www.arrl.org/courses-training (both free and commercial products)
- Gordon West Radio School: http://www.gordonwestradioschool.com/ (book available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Technician-2014-18-Element-License-Preparation/dp/0945053797/ + online resources with drill and practice software and audio course: http://www.w5yi.org/ “Technician Value Package
- Ham Radio School: http://www.hamradioschool.com/ (book available on Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/HamRadioSchool-com-Technician-License-Course-Turner/dp/1477595457/ + online resources); if you are going to use the book, purchasing the app for $5 is a good investment as the app’s practice tests point to the book page number)
- Ham Test Online: http://www.hamtestonline.com (commercial product), or
a similar non-commercial version is available at: http://hamexam.org
- Ham University: http://www.hamuniversity.com (commercial product)
- Podcast w/ technician class exam material: (audio, non-commercial)
- QRZ Online practice tests: http://www.qrz.com/ht/ (free)
- W5YI Ham Instructor resources: http://www.haminstructor.com/ (sample instructor materials)
If you want to bypass the training and go to the actual exam questions, which are publically available:
- The current Technician Class exam (valid until 31-Jun-2018) draws 35 questions from a pool of 426 possible questions, available here:
- For pointers to all of the available ham exams, and more information on the Volunteer Examiner program, look here: http://www.arrl.org/question-pools
Amateur License Practice Testing Sites
These sites feature free practice tests for the amateur radio license exams.
- Hamilton KD0FNR practice exams
- QRZ.COM practice exams (you must first get a free account)
- eham.net practice exams
- AA9PW practice exams
Good information about ham radio, in general, is available at:
- Ham Radio for Dummies, 2nd Edition (book)
http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Ham-Radio-For-Dummies-2nd-Edition.productCd-1118592115.html (also available on Amazon)
Please check back for updates!
Additional training slides here: